The Great UK cake tour of 2012…….
Twelve delegates on The Great UK Cake Tour of 2012, organised by Merivale Cakes and Crafts from Highfields, Toowoomba have just returned from a highly successful skills development tour to Birmingham, London and Paris.
Merivale owners Mary Reid and Cheryl Stace said “the tour was one and half years in the planning as we needed to ensure that delegates would receive the most up to date training, demonstrations and competitions experience possible”.
The 12 delegates included the Merivale Cakes and Crafts owners, five Brisbane based commercial decorators (Antonella Veddovi, The Cake Girl; Lesley Hill, Celebrity Cakes; Simone Weatherstone, Cakes by Simone; Jenny Williams, Your Cake Kitchen; Jackie Thompson, Contemporary Cakes); and five of Merivale’s advanced students from the Toowoomba region (Susan Kay; Caitlin Mitchell; Vicky Gilbert; Deb Sheather and Sherri Sutton).
Some of the tour highlights included:
- Attendance at the 2012 British Sugarcraft Guild’s International School, expo and competitions in Telford, Birmingham which were held from 15-20 May.
- Delegates to the skills school were taught by world-renowned Sugarcraft teachers including Alan Dunn and Elaine MacGregor as they mingled with students from USA, Korea, Scotland, UK and Japan.
- At the expo delegates were able to purchase a wide range of new products and watch 56 international traders demonstrate the latest in tools and products.
- An opportunity to compete at international level of cake decoration and to receive first-hand feedback from some of the world’s most accredited judges.
- Specially arranged group demonstrations in Liverpool with major global suppliers Marion Frost from Patchwork Cutters and Karen from Karen Davies Moulds.
- High teas and presentations with the two of the largest and most successful commercial decorating and training companies in London, Peggy Porschen from the Peggy Porschen Academy and Mich Turner from A Little Venice Cake Company.
- Attend a Macaron (the latest UK and European craze for wedding bonbonnieres) workshop in Paris with the Cook’ n With Class cooking school.
The success of the students with their competition entries was a highlight for the whole group. Deb Sheather received a silver award and Caitlin Mitchell a commended award for their entries in the Night At The Theatre category; Vicky Gilbert and Sherri Sutton each received a bronze award in the Saturday novice category; Vicky Gilbert also received a silver award for the Sunday novice category.
“The fact that these students have been decorating for less than three years, and that they carried their competition pieces half way around the world, worked until the early hours (under difficult conditions in hotel rooms) each night in order to finish their pieces by the competition deadlines, is testament of their commitment to their craft”. The judges commended all of the students for their innovative designs and encouraged them to keep pushing the boundaries in cake decorating.
For more information:
Merivale Cakes and Crafts, Phone: 0418 963 209